Electronic Resources for Classicists: The Second Generation
FONTS AND SOFTWARE
- A variety of Greek
fonts for the Macintosh are available for downloading from the Yamada Language Center
- GreekKeys : The font Athenian has been made available for free download to facilitate displaying Greek on the web (on the Perseus web pages and elsewhere) in Mac OS and Windows. Instructions on how to install the font and how to set your browser for use of GreekKeys Athenian font are posted at http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/browsersettings.html and at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Help/. For additional information about
GreekKeys fonts and keyboard resource for Mac OS only, see
- Latin and Homeric Greek Language Vocabulary Software (grades 4-12) is a series of shareware vocabulary games for K-12.
- Libycus is a free DOS command-line search tool for PHI and TLG CD-ROMS developed by Sean Redmond.
- Lingua Latina (or WinLatin) is a free program which drills users on the basics of Latin grammar. It requires Windows 3.1 or higher. The program is designed to help users memorize the key forms and endings.
- LINGUISTS' Software produces TrueType and Type 1 fonts (Macintosh and Windows computers) for many languages, including Latin and Greek (Ancient and Modern) as well as the TLG Engine, a program that can be used to access TLG data. Their best known font for Greek is LaserGreek now available for both Macs and PCs. Linguist's Software fonts and programs are commercial products and there is a fee to order them.
- Musaios, a
search tool for the TLG for IBM computers can be downloaded from the WWW. Information and payment instructions can be found at the same site.
- Online Greek Font Converter with Unicode is a program developed by Sean Redmond which accepts texts in will accept text in GreekKeys (or compatible), WinGreek, any ISO-8859 (Modern Greek) and Beta Code and converts it to any of the above or Unicode.
- QuickLatin is a Latin to English translation assistant for Windows. The program is shareware and can be used on a trial basis for 30 days. I uses Whitaker's Words dictionary and adds sentence and translation-handling code.
- Silver Mountain
Software Web Page includes a new version of John Baima's shareware Greek, Hebrew,
Coptic and Latin fonts as well as information about Bible Windows, TLG Workplace,
PHI Workplace and the Coptic Workplace. A demo version of the TLG WorkPlace can be downloaded from this site also. For more information about software to search the TLG and PHI disks, you may consult the software section of the TLG Home Page.
- Unicode Polytonic Greek for the World Wide Web is an extensive resource created by Patrick Rourke for those interested in using Unicode for polytonic Greek in web and word processing applications.
- Unicode Keyboard Utility: The site provides a a keyboard utility for entering Unicode characters in Microsoft Word 97 or later. The keyboard is shareware. The site also provides links to several other sites with information about classical Greek fonts.
Back to the Table of Contents
Maintained by Maria C. Pantelia